By being principled, the student understands the obligation to complete all assignments with honor and realizes that meeting this obligation impacts the student’s peers, school and community. Therefore, the student should do the following:
- Avoid academic misconduct by:
- Asking the guide/faculty member for clarification before work begins
- Documenting sources
- Keeping a written record of notes, thoughts or rough drafts
- Asking the guide/faculty member to preview the assignment at least two days prior to the due date
- Using turnitin.com to proofread the assignment
- Submit only authentic work.
- Be responsible for proving evidence of authenticity in the event the authenticity of the student’s work is questioned.
- Request clarification of instructions and/or expectations to avoid academic misconduct.
- Request clarification should any consequence not be understood.
- Immediately inform the guide/faculty member of any academic misconduct whether on or off campus.
Role of the Guide/Faculty Member
Alcuin guides/faculty members will provide students with methods and skills to be academically honest. Where appropriate, these methods will be consistent across disciplines. To meet their obligation to be principled, the guide/faculty member will do the following:
- Understand and implement Alcuin School Academic Honesty Policy
- Discuss academic honesty expectations, academic misconduct and consequences
- Provide clear and explicit instructions and rubrics prior to an assignment
- Teach and re-teach research and citation skills
- Incorporate into instruction the IB Approaches to Learning which include the skills of organization, collaboration, communication, information literacy, problem solving and reflection
- Design assessment tasks that require inquiry and creativity
- Provide tools (such as turnitin.com) that encourage student originality in writing
Role of the Division Head
Alcuin School Division Heads accept the responsibility for creating a culture of academic honesty. To meet the obligation to be principled, the Division Heads will do the following:
- Establish Alcuin’s Academic Honesty Policy
- Define what constitutes academic honesty
- Communicate expectations to Alcuin students, faculty, parents, community and stakeholders
- Review and update academic honesty policy, information and tools
- Monitor the fair and consistent implementation of Alcuin’s Academic Honesty Policy